Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Women Surface Warfare Officers in US Navy Have Come a Long Way

The women aboard the multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD 5) serve their country in many different roles, helping to defend a way of life and U.S. interests around the world while executing the maritime strategy.

Lt.j.g. Jamie Waggoner, a native of Mattoon, Ill., and Lt.j.g. Julia Hubertz, a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., serve as surface warfare officers (SWO) aboard Bataan. They are just two examples of how the military has become a diverse force, branching out to create equal opportunity for all.

The two officers came into the Navy with different ideas about the way of life, but the common goal was prominent. The Navy afforded them money for college, a reason to travel the world and the opportunity to proudly serve their country.

"For as long as I can remember, I wanted to join the Navy and become a naval officer. I wanted to be part of an organization that had a greater purpose than serving my own ambitions," said Hubertz. "I wanted to serve my country and give back to a community and country that has given me so many privileges."

Women first saw combat during World War II, serving as nurses following the Pearl Harbor attacks on December 7, 1941. In 1944, the Woman's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAC) arrived in the Pacific and landed in Normandy on D-Day. During the war, 67 Army nurses and 16 Navy nurses were captured and spent three years as prisoners of war. There were 350,000 American women who served during World War II, and 16 were killed in action.

Despite their patriotic service, women weren't always on equal footing with their male counterparts, and Hubertz' decision to join was almost overturned because of that.

"When I first wanted to join the Navy, my grandfather did not support the decision. It was not that he didn't think I'd make a good naval officer, but he told me he didn't like the way women were treated when he served during World War II," said Hubertz.

"Obviously, the Navy has changed significantly since World War II, and things have changed vastly for women serving in the military. Now, my grandfather couldn't be more proud of the decisions I've made during my naval career."

After many years of change, women are now allowed to serve aboard combat ships, fly military aircraft and even command ships at sea. Women who served before them paved the way for SWOs like Waggoner who started out as an enlisted Sailor right out of high school.

"One of the best moments for me in the Navy was finding out I was selected for the Seaman-to-Admiral program (STA-21)," said Waggoner. "I love standing watch as officer of the deck. I get to coordinate flight operations, amphibious operations and other events, sometimes all at once. I also enjoy being a division officer and a role model for Sailors, helping them to grow and advance in their naval career."

Waggoner's decision to make the leap from enlisted to SWO came from the same drive most dynamic women in the military are known for. She wanted to take the extra step to mentor and train junior Sailors in a challenging role.

"I started off as an E-1, and now I'm an officer. I remember what life was like as an enlisted member aboard a ship and the long hours," said Waggoner. "I keep a positive attitude and greet Sailors in passing. I hope that my optimism becomes contagious, and I hope that they feel they can come to me for any questions they have.

"As a SWO, I also admire the senior female SWOs for accepting the demanding challenges the job and career entail. I aspire to be in their shoes one day," said Waggoner. "I also admire the senior enlisted females. I think they are a great role model for all females in the Navy, both enlisted and officer. They have overcome many challenges and continue to mentor and train all Sailors."

Nearly every aspect of the Navy's mission relies on the knowledge and expertise of the officers of the SWO community to complete some of the most technically and tactically advanced defense and war fighting capabilities on land, in the air and under the sea, making the job of a SWO one of the most demanding occupations, regardless of gender.

"It has not been an easy road, but you have to want it so bad that you can taste it," said Waggoner. "The blood, sweat and tears are worth the rewards. You appreciate your job and opportunities much more when you work for them and have not just been given them."

The drive to get to this stage in the SWO career requires a simple philosophy, and Hubertz hopes that more will be able to learn from the pair's experiences.

"Never give up on a dream. Sometimes dreams and plans have to be modified, but persistence and determination is the key to achieving your aspirations," said Hubertz. "Sometimes goals will not be accomplished on your timeline, but with persistence, particularly in the Navy, the time you invest pursuing your dreams typically pays off."


Christina Shaw (NNS)

# END