Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Blind officer graduates Maneuver Captain's Career Course

Blind officer graduates Maneuver Captain's Career Course: "The first blind student to attend the Maneuver Captain's Career Course graduated with his class Tuesday in a ceremony attended by family and friends.

MCCC is a 20-week course that prepares captains for company commands and serving as staff officers at battalion and brigade level.

'When I came here, I was kind of skeptical of how I would be received, being the blind guy,' Capt. Ivan Castro said. 'I thank my cadre and classmates for their support. I learned a lot from my peers, and I hope I taught them something. We all have a cross to carry. You have to pick up the pieces and move on.'

Castro, who's served in the Army for 21 years, was injured during offensive operations in Yusifiyah, Iraq, Sept. 2, 2006, while deployed with the 82nd Airborne Division. Shrapnel from an 82mm mortar that landed five feet from his position on a rooftop struck Castro, a sniper reconnaissance platoon leader, and several others. The mortar killed two Soldiers in his platoon and left him blind. Castro also suffered a bilateral aneurysm, collapsed lung, pulmonary embolism, bone fractures and a nicked artery."